Recipe for: Chicken Tagine
|2||bone-in chicken breasts with rib meat|
|5||whole carrots, leaves and ends trimmed off|
|5-6||golden potatoes, quartered|
|2||preserved lemons, julienned|
|1 cup||cracked green olives|
|2 cups||low-sodium chicken stock|
|½ cup||chopped parsley|
|¼ cup||chopped cilantro|
|4-5||whole cloves of garlic|
|8-10||whole coriander seeds|
|salt & pepper, to taste|
|Moroccan Spice Mix:|
|1 tsp||ground ginger|
|½ tsp||ground cinnamon|
|½ tsp||ground turmeric|
|½ tsp||ground coriander|
|½ tsp||ground allspice|
|½ tsp||ground cloves|
1. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
2. In a dutch oven or large pot, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and sear each side until crispy and golden brown (about 4-5 minutes each side). Remove from pot and set aside when done.
3. While the chicken browns, chop your onion, potatoes, parsley, and cilantro. Trim your carrots.
4. After you remove the chicken, add the onions to the pot with all but 1/2 tsp. of the spice mix. Stir well and let them cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the potatoes and carrots, and continue to cook the vegetables for another 10-15 minutes, until deep brown. Stir in most of the parsley and cilantro.
5. Sprinkle the remaining spice mix on the chicken breasts. Add the chicken back to the pot along with the stock, cardamom pods, cloves, coriander seeds, and saffron. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
6. While I think you can get away with covering the pot on the stove top and simmering over low heat, I transferred the covered pot to the oven to braise for about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, julienne the preserved lemons and drain the olives.
Return the pot to the stove top over low heat. Add the preserved lemons and olives, cooking for another 5 minutes while simmering.
Garnish with the remaining parsley. Serve with couscous if you prefer, or with a spoon to enjoy the flavorful broth.
Jenessa’s Dinners offers up healthy, modern twists on traditional recipes from around the world. Inspired by years of travel, Jenessa’s goal is to bring a world of spice and flavor to your kitchen.
SideChef is a step-by-step cooking app that combines the most modern technologies with handpicked recipes to create great cooking experiences.